Ignatieff's ever shifting position on MP audits:
1. A bad idea: “I understand what Canadians are saying. They want accountability and transparency, but I don’t think they want us to be going through our receipts for this meal and that meal” (May 19, 2010)
2. A good idea: “What I mean is, it’s important Canadians know the money we spent is honestly accounted for, and that’s the kind of solution that we need to look for.” (May 19, 2010)
3. A bad idea: ”There is accountability that is in itself a waste of public money. Do you understand what I am saying?”
4. A good idea:” is “entirely in favour” of Fraser making sure the financial controls are “good and right and serving Canadians.” (May 26, 2010)
5. A bad idea: Iggy asks Liberal MPs not to post their expenses online. (May 26, 2010)What it will be tomorrow? Who knows.
With leadership like this, is it any wonder the Liberals are lost?
Michael Ignatieff preached transparency to the cameras outside of caucus Wednesday but inside he was warning MPs not to be acting as freelancers or mavericks by posting their expenses online.
“Everybody is very confused about what is going on,” a well-connected Liberal MP says.
Liberal MPs – those who have been pushing for more transparency and have posted their expenses online – are being given the cold shoulder by some of the Liberal caucus senior players, according to an MP. Independent thinkers, it seems, will not be tolerated.
“Michael doesn’t want anybody else to put up their budgets,” says the source, who noted the hypocrisy in the fact that Liberals want to be able to manage taxpayers’ money as a government but “don’t want to disclose” the taxpayers’ money they are managing now.
“It’s amazing that we are fighting this,” says the MP.
How dare rookie Liberal MP Michelle Simson post her expenses online. She is going to pay for that one.
Today's EKOS numbers continue to reveal an ugly truth for the Liberals.
They really are lost.
Bloc Quebecois: 9.4 (37.4 in Quebec)
Related: Thomas Walkom (not a friend of the CPC) acknowledges how the Liberals are failing as an opposition under Ignatieff.