Tuesday, April 25, 2006

MSM bias

No, this is not going to be about the "liberal bias" or the perceived bias of the MSM. My thinking tonight is on how can the MSM approach stories about MSM with any type of objectivness.

Tonights lead story on Global National was about the MSM not being allowed to be at Trenton when some Canadian Heroes make their final trip back to Canada.

It was a story about themselves and the rest of the MSM.

We look to the media to keep an eye on things for us for the most part. They are where the action is while the rest of us are at work, school, home parenting, or what ever it is those I didn't slap into a category fit. The MSM are effectively watchdogs for us and do an effective job, but can the MSM be watchdogs upon themselves when reporting stories about issues dealing directly with the MSM.

From what I have seen so far, I think the MSM is failing miserably.

There is a way that they can do stories about MSM issues, but I doubt the MSM would like my solution as it may shake things up too much if it was implemented. But in the off chance some someone is reading this blog, may I suggest that in the future the MSM acknowledge that stories about themselves should be considered opinion pieces and the audience informed as such.


You cannot be objective when being a watchdog on issues related to yourself. This is not unique to MSM either. Think about it.

But that's just my opinion.

No comments: